Wednesday, June 17, 2009

09.06.09 Peter Garbiel "Solsbury Hill"


Back on trail, off of highway and gravel roads. After much debate about the weather, the group: jb, robo, special, me, and now a fifth: mr d set off from San Luis Pass, CO at 12 noon on thurs june 11. Temps are below freezing with the wind chill as a series of powerful but hurried snowstorms blow over our heads. As the saying goes: if you don't like the weather in creede, wait 15 minutes.



We climb to san luis pass and make our way to the divide trail, the first time I've been on trail since my ice adventures. A frustrating afternoon of postholing and ridge walking awaits. We elevate to 12k feet and scurry past a 14k foot tower: san luis peak. Ice chutes tumble down the side of the mountain and we decide taking the alternate route to the summit is impossible. After an hour and a half of postholing, ankle turning, hillswiping, and altitude induced breathlessness, we summit the ridge above the cochetopa river valley. Rock faces scowl down at us as we make our way to a pine forest to camp. I am finally invigorated to be hiking. Perhaps enough time has finally passed for my hiking legs/feet to adequately develop so that I'm not wincing with each footfall and dreading the next. I feel I am almost at the point where I can fully enjoy the trip. My tunnel of pain was previously closing off my ability to experience much other stimuli.




Many people in creede are curious about the journey. One gentlemen asks if we are 'hoboing'. I reply that we are, in a way. I say we are 'athletic hobos'.

Being a fitness obsessed transient. Sounds like my fantasy.






Honorable Mention:

-Stevens, Sufjan "Casmir Pulaski Day". (On the floor at the Great Divide)

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Star Wars' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP